In-person job fairs have long been a proven way for Goodwill of North Georgia to successfully connect hundreds of job seekers to available jobs in the area by offering access to local resources, information, and support. In 2020, Goodwill of North Georgia successfully launched a virtual job fair platform, CareerConnector, that provides all in-person supports online and allows a broader audience of applicants to participate because barriers such as childcare and transportation are removed.
50-plus virtual job fairs over the past year have connected more than 550 job seekers to employment. The job fairs vary from extensive collaborations with multiple industries to smaller, more targeted events.
- Targeted job fairs with organizations such as the Latin American Association and Atlanta Mayor’s LGBTQ Office.
- Participants can join by computer or phone, and everything they need is in one place: job openings, a link to upload a resume, and the ability to talk with the employer.
- Employers like the virtual fairs too because the events tend to be smaller and allow for more close collaboration and partnership. In addition, updates about jobs and specific industry processes can be shared quickly and passed on to applications.
- Gwinnett Cares
- Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport
- Opportunity ATL
Ideas on supporting employers and jobseekers through virtual hiring events even after pandemic safety protocols are no longer needed.
“We started small, with four employers, and planned to do another one in the next quarter or so. But that quickly changed in March when the pandemic hit, and we’ve ended up hosting one almost every week since then.”
– STACY ROZIER, Director of Virtual Career Services
When Workforce Works is an opportunity to tell and highlight successful workforce programs, projects, and initiatives from the MAIP Partner network. These aren’t just any stories about workforce programs, but stories of programs that really get it right – putting industry first, engaging career seekers, and developing deep partnerships – the workforce “secret sauce”.